At St. John Vianney Church, our First Reconciliation and First Eucharist preparation programs are parish-based programs. Children who attend our Parish Faith Formation classes, as well as those in a Catholic school, come together to prepare for these Sacraments.
Before a child can be registered, the following criteria should be met:
- The child must be Baptized Catholic (A copy of the Baptismal Certificate must accompany the registration form. Unbaptized children who are 2nd grade level or above should contact the Sacrament Coordinator for more information.)
- The family must be registered in St. John Vianney Parish. Child must be currently registered in Catholic Religious Education classes or a Catholic school
- Child must have attended at least one year of Catholic Faith Formation or a Catholic school, the year preceding sacrament preparation
- The child must be currently in 2nd grade or above
- The family must be willing to be actively involved in their child's preparation
- You must attend the mandatory Parent / Child Faith Formation Sessions
Children may be registered for either or both of the Sacrament preparation programs. While the 2nd grade level is the minimum accepted, some families may choose to prepare for these Sacraments at a later time. Children who have received First Eucharist but not First Reconciliation, only need to attend the Reconciliation component of the process.
Our parish program for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist will include the following:
- Attendance at weekly Faith Formation classes or a Catholic school
- Family conversation with a member of the parish pastoral staff
- Parent / Child Faith Formation sessions
- Liturgical Rites
- Home study packets to be completed by child with parent help and guidance