Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA)
A faith journey, an ongoing process, constantly turning to the Lord, continuing through adult life.
(925)939-7911 ext. 125
Reasons for interest in the Church vary and situations are as many as there are individuals. St. John Vianney parish provides an opportunity for you to step back and freely explore your interest and desire. We will gather with interested people in September, providing an opportunity for you to bring your questions and to hear more about the rich and varied tradition of our Catholic Church.
Please contact us so we might hear more about you and talk about what may be involved in the process of exploring full membership in the Catholic Church. For more information, call the parish office (925) 939-7911.
The process of Christian Initiation is for adults who…
- ...are unbaptized and want to become Catholic Christians through the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
- ...are baptized Christians (in another faith tradition or Catholic) who want full sacramental membership in the Roman Catholic Church through Confirmation and Eucharist.
- ...attend Catholic Church because of a loved one or spouse and are not sure if the Catholic Church is for them, but are willing to ask questions.
- …attend Catholic Church because of a loved one or spouse and are not sure if the Catholic Church is for them, but are willing to ask questions.
This process takes place within the context of the parish community and, after a suitable period of formation, culminates in the reception of the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist).
Formation includes several areas:
- Scripture: the stories of God’s people
- Teaching: what Catholics believe
- Prayer: how we communicate with God
- Liturgy: how the community worships
- Mission: how we live out what we believe
How it works: God calls and we respond. With the process of Christian Initiation, men and women at all stages of the faith journey come together in a non-threatening and non-pressured atmosphere to learn more about the Catholic Church. We provide a forum for shared spiritual growth and a means to explore Catholic Christian tradition through the scripture, sacraments, church teaching, and social outreach, all in the midst of the Catholic faith community.